Thursday, May 14, 2015

Finding my soulmate (part 2)

This is the continuation of this post from 2 weeks ago. 

Two weeks after I returned from Palembang, I had my appendix removed. While I was in hospital people kept making jokes about me finding my soulmate in hospital, which I found ridiculous (I wasn't exactly looking great in that hospital gown). A few days after I went home from hospital, I had to go back in for a check-up.
I was sitting in the waiting room about to see my doctor when a young guy walked in. He was tall, chubby and had short hair. He's not the kind of guy I would usually be attracted to but for some reason he caught my eye. We looked at each other and smiled. After talking to someone at the reception desk, he walked back to the area I was sitting in and sat two chairs away. I wasn’t sure if I should make conversation with him but for some reason he seemed interesting to me even though I couldn't tell what attracted me to him I kept glancing over at him in the waiting room.


After a couple of minutes he looked over at me.
"Why are you here?" he asked awkwardly. To be fair to him, I'm also not sure about the best way to start a conversation in a hospital.
"I just had surgery and I have to see my doctor," I explained.
"Oh, okay," he said "Are you a teacher?"
"Yea, I am," I replied. It's not surprising that he guessed that as most Westerners in Surabaya are English teachers.
"Do you work at EF?" he asked
"How do you know that?" I asked laughing.
"I just guessed. Do you know Alex who works at EF?" he asked.
"Yea!" I said "How do you know Alex?"
“I met him when I went to Palembang. We were on the same plane and shared a taxi” he explained. For some reason I started laughing a lot when he mentioned Palembang. 
“Ohh you went to Palembang?” I said still laughing (which probably made no sense to him).
“Haha yea I did” he said smiling.
“Are you from Surabaya?” I asked him.
“No, I’m originally from Palembang.”
By this point I was giggling a lot. Was this guy my soulmate? I didn’t know what to do. I knew pretty soon I would be called in to see the doctor and I also felt that it was too fast to ask him for his phone number.  We kept talking for a few minutes and sure enough I was called to see the doctor.

The whole time I was with my doctor I was just silently praying that my soulmate would still be in the waiting room by the time I finished. I didn’t ask many questions, I just wanted to get out of there quickly.

When I returned to the waiting room, I immediately looked for him but he was gone. I hadn’t even gotten his name and he was gone. I wasn’t ready to admit defeat though.  I went downstairs to Excelso cafe and sat there hoping I would see my soulmate before he left. I was drinking my coffee when I heard someone say "hey Samantha!" I looked up and saw one of the nurses from the ER. 
"You're not crying today?" he asked laughing.
I told the nurse I was feeling better and continued to drink my coffee while waiting for my soulmate. Then I remembered that he had mentioned my friend Alex. It seemed like a long shot but it was the only link I had to him. I messaged Alex and explained the situation. Five minutes later and I had my soulmate's phone number. 


Suddenly, I felt weird about the whole thing. Could you really just meet a random person in the hospital, ask your friend for their phone number and then message them? Even if they are your soulmate, is it still weird? I wasn't sure that I wanted to message him anymore. Instead, I messaged my friend and housemate Joy:

I just met a guy, He's my soulmate. Details over tea and Tim Tams later.

Fast forward an hour or so and I was sitting on my couch with Joy, drinking tea and eating Tim Tams. I told her the story of the morning. I still wasn't sure whether I should message him but with Joy's encouragement I decided to do it. 




Turns out he is a nice guy. His name is Irvan. He's pretty cool. He actually has a girlfriend which is fine with me. Just knowing I don't have to fly across the country to look for my soulmate again makes me happy. Also, dating my soulmate seems like too much pressure for now. In all, I'm just happy to know my soulmate. Not many people get to meet their soulmates so I consider myself lucky.


Of course I haven't told Irvan that he is my soulmate. I feel it'd make things much weirder than they need to be (hopefully he never sees this blog). The pictures in this post are pictures of him from his Instagram, I specifically chose photos that would protect his identity (really, really hope he never finds this blog). 

I hope this blog post brings you guys hope. Sure, you can fly across the country to find your soulmate. You can join any dating website you want. You can talk to many random people in nightclubs or bars (I think this is how normal people get dates). But the thing is, maybe it won't happen until the time is right. Maybe finding someone means your appendix has to almost explode. Life is unpredictable. Also, even if you do meet your soulmate, you don't need to date him. You can date someone else or noone (like me). Just enjoy life with or without your soulmate basically. Have a lovely weekend my dear blog readers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment